Slow Cooker Easy Chili
This easy to make chili is perfect for game days or cozy evenings at home.
- ½ tbsp (7 mL) canola oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1½ lbs (700 g) 90% lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chili powder
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2½ tsp (12 mL) cumin
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) salt
- 2½ tbsp (37 mL) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 mL) low-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (16 oz or 398 mL) each fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 oz or 398 mL) each mild chili beans in sauce, undrained
- Optional: sliced green onions, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, jalapeño slices
Heat the oil in the Rockcrok® Dutch Oven over medium heat for 3–5 minutes, or until shimmering.
Finely dice the onion. Add the onion to the Dutch oven. Cook and stir, uncovered, for 2–3 minutes, or until the onion is slightly softened.
Add the ground beef and pressed garlic. Cook over medium heat for 8–10 minutes, breaking the beef into crumbles as it cooks. When the beef is no longer pink, drain (if necessary).
Stir in the remaining chili ingredients. Cover and place the Dutch oven in the Rockcrok® Slow Cooker Stand and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
Serve topped with green onion, sour cream, cheddar cheese, or jalapeño slices, if desired.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (about 1 cup/250 mL): Calories 370, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 75 mg, Sodium 1250 mg, Carbohydrate 32 g, Fiber 11 g, Sugars 6 g, Protein 32 g
This recipe can also be made in the Rockcrok® Everyday Pan. Continue to use the same amount of oil when cooking the onion, but halve the remaining ingredients. Cook on LOW for 6–8 hours or HIGH for 3–4 hours. If the chili gets too thick, simply stir in ½–1 cup (125–250 mL) of additional beef broth at the end of cooking.