Braised Chicken with Root Vegetables
- 6 slices uncooked bacon
- 8 bone in skin-on chicken thighs (3 1/2-4 lbs/1.6-1.8 kg total)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 lb (450 g) small red potatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 2" (5cm) pieces in half lengthwise
- 1 pkg (8 oz or 228 g) fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chicken stock, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine such as Chardonnay
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) flour
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Cut the bacon into pieces. Brown the bacon in the Rockcrok® Dutch Oven XL over medium heat for 10–12 minutes or until crisp. Remove the pot from the heat; remove the bacon and drain on paper towels. Reserve drippings in the pot.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken, skin-side down, for 5–7 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the chicken. (Chicken will be partially cooked).
Meanwhile, cut the potatoes and onions into wedges. Thinly slice the garlic.
Add the vegetables and bacon to the pot; stir ½ cup (125 mL) of the stock and wine. Top with the chicken. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over medium-high heat.
Remove from the heat, and place in the oven. Bake, uncovered, for 40–45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Remove the pot from the oven. Remove the chicken and set aside; keep warm.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, thyme, and remaining ¼ cup (50 mL) of stock.
Stir in the flour mixture and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer for 5–6 minutes or until thickened. Serve the chicken with sauce and vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
- 8 servings of I thigh and 1 cup veggies
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 330, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 155 mg, Sodium 640 mg, Carbohydrate 18 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 31 g
If fresh thyme isn’t available, you can use 2 tsp (10 mL) of dried thyme leaves instead.