Sun-Dried Tomato & Sausage Risotto
Flavorful Italian sausage and Arborio rice are simmered in the Deep Dish Baker for a no-fuss risotto the whole family will enjoy.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 medium onion (1 cup/250 mL), finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked Arborio rice (see Cook's Tip)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 cans (14 oz/398 mL each) 33% reduced-sodium chicken broth (about 3 1/2 cups/875 mL)
- 2 oz (60 g) Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup/125 mL packed)
- 2 links hot Italian sausage (about 8 oz/250 g)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Additional grated fresh Parmesan cheese and finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Drain tomatoes using small Stainless Mesh Colander. Slice tomatoes using Santoku Knife; set aside. Finely chop onion using Food Chopper. Combine onion, garlic pressed with Garlic Press, rice and oil in Deep Dish Baker; spread mixture evenly over bottom of baker. Cover with Parchment Paper and microwave on HIGH 2-4 minutes or until onion is translucent, stirring every 2 minutes. Stir in broth; microwave 9-10 minutes or until broth begins to simmer. Stir in tomatoes; microwave 7-9 minutes or just until rice is tender and mixture is creamy.
Meanwhile, grate cheese using Rotary Grater; set aside. Remove casings from sausage using Boning Knife. Cut sausage in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/2-in. nuggets. Place into (10-in.) Skillet; cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and drain.
Carefully remove baker from microwave. Stir in cooked sausage, cheese and parsley, if desired. Serve risotto with additional grated fresh Parmesan cheese and parsley, if desired.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 490, Total Fat 27 g, Saturated Fat 9 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Carbohydrate 46 g, Protein 20 g, Sodium 1180 mg, Fiber 2 g
Arborio rice is an Italian short grain rice. It is most commonly used in risottos because its high starch content lends a creamy texture.
Unseasoned converted rice and 1 oz cream cheese can be substituted for Arborio rice. Prepare as recipe directs through Step 2, substituting converted rice. Stir in cream cheese and ingredients as directed in Step 3.