Berry-Pine Nut Chicken Salad
Using cooked chicken and bagged lettuce shaves off a great deal of time for this colorful salad.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) seedless raspberry jam
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 1/8 tsp (.5 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp (.5 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) pine nuts
- 1 bag (5-6 oz/150-175 g) Boston lettuce salad blend (about 5 cups/125 L torn Boston lettuce)
- 1 cup (250 mL) blueberries
- 1 lb (500 g) cooked chicken breasts (about 4)
- 1/4 small red onion
- 8 oz (250 g) sugar snap peas (2 cups/500 mL)
For dressing, combine vinegar, jam and mustard in Measure, Mix & Pour®; mix well. Add oil, salt and black pepper. Mix again and set aside.
For salad, place pine nuts into (8-in./20-cm) Sauté Pan; toast over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until fragrant and golden brown. Remove pine nuts from pan; cool completely.
To serve, layer lettuce, chicken, peas, blueberries and onion in a large serving bowl. Pour dressing over salad just before serving; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 450, Total Fat 24 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 95 mg, Carbohydrate 20 g, Protein 39 g, Sodium 200 mg, Fiber 3 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 4 low-fat meat, 3 fat (1 carb)
Using seedless raspberry jam in the vinaigrette adds concentrated raspberry flavor. If desired, use raspberry vinegar in place of the red wine vinegar for even greater impact.
Pine nuts can be toasted in the Small Bar Pan in the microwave oven for 2-3 minutes, stirring after each 30-second interval.
This salad can be served in the outer bowl of the Salad & Berry Spinner for casual meals.