Fiesta Chili Mac
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb. (450 g) 90% lean ground beef
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 8 oz. (250g) uncooked penne pasta
- 1 can (14.5 oz./411 g) beef broth
- 1½ cups (375 mL) chunky salsa
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn, thawed
- 4 oz. (125 g) cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup/250 mL), divided
- Combine the onion, beef, chili powder, cumin, and salt in the Deep Covered Baker and mix well. Microwave, covered for 7-9 minutes, or until the beef is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles halfway through with the Mix ‘N Chop®. Add the pasta, broth, and salsa to the beef mixture; mix well. Cover and microwave 10 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and corn to the baker and mix well. Microwave, covered, for 7-9 minutes, or until the pasta is tender. Stir in ¾ cup (75 mL) of the cheese. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 4010, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 70 mg, Carbohydrate 401 g, Protein 278 g, Sodium 1130 mg, Sugars 6 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Fiber 4 g
You can easily adjust the heat of this dish by using a hotter salsa.
To cook on the stovetop, combine chopped onion, beef and spices in 12" (30-cm) Skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes or until the beef is no longer pink. Add the pasta, broth and salsa; mix well. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the bell pepper and corn. Cover and simmer 6-8 minutes, or until pasta is tender. Remove from heat and finish as the recipe directs.