One-Pot Sausage & Kale Pasta
This delicious dish showcases sausage, tomatoes, and bowtie pasta. The best part? You can make it one pot, so cleanup is easy!
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 lb. (450 g) mild Italian turkey sausage
- 1 medium onion,chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 lb. (450 g) farfalle pasta
- 4 cups (1 L) unsalted chicken stock
- 1 can (14.5 oz./411 g) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz./227 g) tomato sauce
- ½ tbsp (7 mL) red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 cups (2 L) fresh kale, stems removed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 oz. (125 g) reduced-fat (Neufchâtel) cream cheese, softened
- 2 oz. (60 g) fresh Parmesan cheese, finely grated (½ cup/125 mL), plus additional for serving
Heat ½ tbsp (7 mL) of the oil in the Nonstick Saute & Steam Pan over medium heat for 2–3 minutes. Add the sausage. Cook until browned, 4–6 minutes, breaking the sausage into crumbles. Drain and remove from the pan.
Add the remaining oil, onion, and garlic to the pan; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Add the sausage, pasta, stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and red pepper flakes (if using) to the pan. Stir to combine.
Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in the kale, cream cheese, and Parmesan. Cover the pot and simmer until the pasta and kale are tender, 4–6 minutes. Serve with additional Parmesan, if you’d like.
- 8 servings of 1½ cups (375mL)
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (1½ cups/375 mL): Calories 440, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 50 mg, Sodium 650 mg, Carbohydrate 56 g, Fiber 5 g, Sugars 4 g (includes 0 g added sugars), Protein 28 g
To remove stems from your kale, fold the leaves in half with the vein side out. Then trim along the stem from top to bottom.
You can substitute baby spinach for kale.