Southwest Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 oz (125 g) Colby Jack or cheddar cheese (1 cup/250 mL grated)
- 8 oz (250 g) chicken tenderloins
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) Chipotle Rub
- ¾ cup (175 mL) reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup (175 mL) no-salt-added canned corn, drained
- ¼ cup (50 mL) loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- Optional toppings: Low-fat sour cream or 2% plain low-fat Greek yogurt, lime juice, diced avocado, hot sauce
- Create flat bases on each sweet potato by cutting off a small piece on opposite sides. Pierce each sweet potato thoroughly with a fork.
- Place the potatoes in the Deep Covered Baker. Microwave, covered, on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and turn the potatoes over. Microwave for an additional 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are very soft when pierced with a fork.
- Grate the cheese with the Adjustable Coarse Grater; set aside.
- Remove the baker from the microwave. Carefully move the potatoes to a cutting board.
- On a cutting board, season both sides of the chicken with the rub. Place the chicken into the baker and microwave, covered, on HIGH for 2–4 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in half lengthwise and use the Large Scoop to scoop the flesh into a large bowl. (It’s OK to leave a little bit of the flesh in the skins.) Add the beans, corn, and ¾ cup (175 mL) of the cheese to the bowl.
- Remove the baker from the microwave and carefully pour out any juice. Use the Salad Choppers to finely chop the chicken. Add the chicken to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Place the sweet potato skins into the baker. Use the Large Scoop to generously fill the potato skins, packing the filling down with the back of the scoop. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup (50 mL) of cheese on top. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH for 2–3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Coarsely chop cilantro and top sweet potatoes. Serve with toppings, if desired.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per Serving: Calories 270, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 500 mg, Carbohydrate 25 g, Fiber 5 g, Sugars 5 g, Protein 24 g
You can freeze the filled potatoes for an easy weeknight dinner! Just wrap them in plastic wrap (don't add the cheese yet). When you’re ready to eat them, unwrap and place them on a microwave-safe plate. Add the grated cheese and microwave for 2–4 minutes, or until they’re heated through. For a quick sauce, combine ¼ cup (50 mL) Greek yogurt, ½ tsp (2 mL) Chipotle Rub, and the juice of half of a lime.