Chicken Pot Pie Chowder
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup (50 mL) flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) reduced-sodium chicken stock
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen vegetable medley (like corn, green beans, carrots, and peas)
- 1½ cups (375 mL) chopped cooked chicken
- ½ cup (125 mL) loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 pkg (7.5 oz or 340 g) buttermilk biscuits
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Heat the oil in the Rockcrok® Dutch Oven over medium heat for 3–5 minutes, or until it’s shimmering.
Cut the onion into chunks. Place them into the Manual Food Processor and process until coarsely chopped.
Add the onion and garlic pressed with the Garlic Press to the Dutch oven. Cook for 3–5 minutes, or until the onions are softened, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to coat. Cook for 1 additional minute.
Add the stock, salt, and pepper, then increase the heat to medium-high. Bring the mixture to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the Dutch oven to release any flour.
Add the milk, vegetables, chicken, and parsley grated with the Herb Mill; stir.
- Gently place the biscuits on top of the chowder. Bake, uncovered, for 12–15 minutes, or until the tops of the biscuits are golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per Serving: Calories 290, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 40 mg, Sodium 620 mg, Carbohydrate 32 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 8 g, Protein 19 g
Take it slow: To make this recipe in the Rockcrok® Slow Cooker Stand, substitute the cooked chicken for 1½ lbs (750 g) of raw chicken. Complete steps 2–4 as directed, then add the stock, vegetables, and chicken. Cook, covered, on HIGH for 4 hours, or LOW for 8 hours. Remove from the Slow Cooker Stand; add the milk, top with the biscuits, then finish in the oven as directed.