Beef Stew with Carrots & Potatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and black pepper
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) beef stew meat, cut into 1-in. (2.5-cm) pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 2 cups (500 mL) dry red wine
- 2 cans (14.5 oz or 284 mL) beef broth
- 2 cans (14.5 oz or 540 mL) stewed or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 lbs (1 kg) unpeeled potatoes, cut into 1-in. (2.5-cm) pieces
- 4 cups (1 L) carrot slices
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add beef. Cover bowl; shake to coat beef.
Heat oil in All-Purpose Pot over medium-high heat 1-3 min or until shimmering. Add beef to pot, reserving any remaining flour mixture. Cook until beef is evenly browned, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle beef with the reserved flour mixture and thyme. Add wine, beef broth, tomatoes, onion and garlic. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 hour and 30 min.
Stir potatoes and carrots into stew; cover. Simmer 1 hour - 1 hour and 30 min until beef and vegetables are tender. Skim fat from stew, if needed. Stir in peas.
- 12 servings