Turkey Chili with Cornbread
- 1 tbsp (15mL) canola oil
- 1 1/4 lbs (575 g) 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 can (6 oz or 156 mL) tomato paste
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each or 796 mL) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 oz or 398 mL each) reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) frozen corn (12 oz/350 g)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Tex-Mex Rub
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 box (8.5 oz) corn muffin mix (see Cook's Tip)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz/60 g)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen corn (4 oz/125 g)
Heat oil in All-Purpose Pot over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Cook turkey 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring and breaking into crumbles.
Add onion, jalapeño and pressed garlic to pot. Cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until onion is softened. Add tomato paste; cook and stir an additional 3-4 minutes.
Stir in remaining chili ingredients. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Continue cooking chili in pot until cornbread is done.)
Meanwhile, for cornbread, spray 6 1-cup (250-mL) Prep Bowls with nonstick cooking spray. Combine cornbread ingredients in a small bowl; mix well. Divide mixture evenly into prep bowls.
Place prep bowls in 12” (30-cm) Steamer. Place Steamer on All-Purpose Pot. Cover and cook 15-17 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cornbread comes out clean.
Remove Steamer to hot pad or trivet. To remove cornbread, run a knife around rims of prep bowls and release. Ladle chili into bowls and serve with half of a steamed cornbread.
- 12 servings of 1 cup/250-mL chili and 1/2 of a cornbread
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 310, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 50 mg, Sodium 750 mg, Carbohydrate 41 g, Fiber 8 g, Protein 18 g
For homemade cornbread, omit corn muffin mix. Combine ¾ cup (175 mL) flour, ½ cup (125 mL) yellow cornmeal, 3 tbsp (45 mL) sugar, 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil, 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder and ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt. Add remaining cornbread ingredients and proceed as recipe directs.