Hearty Chicken Quesadilla Soup
- 5 (6-in./15-cm) corn tortillas
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 2 cans (14.5 oz/398 mL each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups (750 mL) unsalted chicken stock
- 3 cups (750 mL) diced cooked chicken
- 1 bag (12 oz/340 g) frozen Southwestern corn blend, thawed (see Cook’s Tips)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 oz (90 g) Monterey Jack cheese (3/4 cup/175 mL grated)
Stack tortillas and cut into quarters with Santoku Knife; set 12 quarters aside. Tear remaining 8 quarters into pieces. Remove stem from jalapeño and cut in half lengthwise. Using Core & More, carefully remove seeds and veins. Cut into chunks. Finely chop jalapeño and torn tortillas with Food Chopper.
Place chopped tortillas and jalapeño, tomatoes, chicken stock, chicken, corn blend, cumin, garlic pressed with Garlic Press and black pepper in Rockcrok® (4-qt./3.8-L) Dutch Oven. Stir with Small Mix ‘N Scraper®. Cover; bring to a boil over HIGH heat. Reduce heat and simmer 15-17 minutes.
Using Silicone Oven Mitts, remove soup from heat. Stir in cilantro. Carefully arrange remaining tortilla quarters in a circular pattern over hot soup, slightly overlapping, with points toward the center. (You may see some small gaps.) Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
Place Dutch Oven 2-4 in. (5-10 cm) from heating element. Broil 2-3 minutes or until cheese is light golden brown.
- 8 servings of 1 1/4 cups/300 mL
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (1¼ cups/300 mL): Calories 220, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 2.5g, Cholesterol 40 mg, Sodium 500 mg, Carbohydrate 21 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 19 g
To quickly thaw frozen corn blend, place bag under warm running water for about 1 minute or until thawed, shaking occasionally.
The chopped tortillas help thicken the soup, making it a hearty meal.