Grilled Tex-Mex Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large green bell peppers (see Cook’s Tips)
- 2-3 jalapeño peppers
- 6 oz (175 g) reduced-fat cheddar cheese (1½ cups/375 mL grated), divided
- 2 cans (15 oz/398 mL each) no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-natural salsa, plus additional for serving
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Tex-Mex Rub
Spray pan with oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Place bell pepper halves, cut-side down, in pan. Cook 5-7 minutes. Using Chef’s Tongs, turn peppers over; cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until bottoms are charred.
Meanwhile for filling, remove stems from jalapeños and cut in half lengthwise. Using Core & More, carefully remove seeds and veins. Cut into chunks. Finely chop jalapeños with Food Chopper; place in Classic Batter Bowl.
Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 5-7 minutes or until mixture is heated through, mixing well halfway through cooking. Remove from microwave; mix well.
Turn off heat under pan. Using Large Scoop, fill bell peppers with 2 rounded scoops of bean mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand 5 minutes or until cheese begins to melt. Serve with additional salsa.
- 8 servings of 1 pepper half
Large, uniform plump bell peppers work best in this recipe because they will hold the filling well and cook evenly.
Plant-Based Variation: Substitute 4 oz (125 g) cheddar-flavored vegan cheese (grated) for 6 oz (175 g) reduced-fat cheddar cheese in Step 4. In Step 6, top peppers with additional salsa instead of the additional cheese.