Winter Squash Soup
This rich winter squash soup is so delicious, you’ll want it year-round!
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 lbs./1 kg), peeled and cut into 1" (2.5-cm) chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1” (2.5-cm) chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, presssed
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 4 cups (1L) chicken stock
- 1 can (15 oz. /425 g) solid pack pumpkin
- 1 can (12 oz/345 mL) evaporated milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- Optional: Sour cream and toasted pumpkin seeds
Heat the oil in the 6-qt. (5.7-L) Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven over medium heat for 3–5 minutes. Add the onion. Cook and stir for 3–4 minutes, or until softened.
Add the squash, carrots, garlic, and thyme. Cook and stir for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
Add the stock. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the squash is very soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
Use the Flex+ Immersion Blender attachment to blend on medium, gradually increasing to high speed, until smooth, about 2–3 minutes.
Add the pumpkin, evaporated milk, salt, and pepper, and blend on high, about 1 minute.
Bring the soup to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat.
Serve with sour cream and pumpkin seeds, if you’d like.
- 6 servings of 1½ cups (357mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 210, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 750 mg, Carbohydrate 34 g, Fiber 7 g, Sugars 14 g (includes 0 g added sugars), Protein 10 g