Three Bean Vegetarian Chili
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon (4 mL) ground cumin
- 2 cans (14.5 oz or 796 mL each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15.5 oz or 398 mL) mild chili beans in sauce, undrained
- 1 can (15.5 oz or 398 mL) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz or 398 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (7 oz or 341 mL) whole kernel corn, drained
- Toppings such as shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
Heat oil in Rockcrok Dutch Oven or Executive (4-qt./3.8-L) Casserole over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Add bell peppers, onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, beans and corn; mix well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Ladle chili into soup bowls. Serve with toppings, if desired.
- 12 servings of 1 cup (250 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 140, Total Fat 2 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g, Protein 7 g, Sodium 540 mg, Fiber 8 g