Spicy Meatball Soup
Chorizo gives bold flavor to the meatballs for this soup.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 5 saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- 6 oz (175 g) spicy pork chorizo
- 8 oz (250 g) 90% lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 1 tbsp (15 mL) adobo sauce
- 5 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth (about 9 cups/2 L)
- 4 large plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Lime wedges (optional)
Heat oil in All-Purpose Pot over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Combine crushed crackers and water in a large bowl; mix until a paste forms. Add chorizo, beef and egg; mix well.
Form chorizo mixture into about 24 meatballs. Add meatballs to pot; cook 10-12 min or until browned, turning occasionally. Remove meatballs from pot.
Add onions to pot; cook 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add chipotle; cook and stir 20-30 seconds or until chipotle is fragrant. Add adobo sauce and broth; bring to a simmer.
Add meatballs to soup; simmer 2-3 minutes or until cooked through. Skim excess fat from soup, if necessary.
Top soup with tomatoes and cilantro. Ladle soup into bowls; serve with lime wedges, if desired.
- 6 servings of about 1 cup/250 mL
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 260, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 4.5 g, Cholesterol 85 mg, Carbohydrate 15 g, Protein 16 g, Sodium 1850 mg, Fiber 1 g
The meatballs can be prepared a day in advance. Cover bottom of Large Sheet Pan with parchment paper. Scoop meatballs and place onto pan; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.