Grilled Chicken Penne al Fresco
Preparing a tomato-garlic sauce from scratch in the microwave will fill your kitchen with the aromas of an upscale Italian restaurant.
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups (500 mL) grape or cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups (750 mL) uncooked mezze penne pasta
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) dry white wine such as Chardonnay
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) lightly packed fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup/50 mL packed)
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced grilled chicken breasts
- Additional grated fresh Parmesan cheese and coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
Spray Deep Covered Baker with olive oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Slice garlic into baker using Garlic Slicer. Add tomatoes. Cover; microwave on HIGH 4-5 minutes or until tomatoes begin to burst, stirring after 2 minutes. Crush tomatoes using Mix ‘N Chop. Add pasta, broth, wine, salt and black pepper.
Return Baker to microwave; cover and microwave on HIGH 16-18 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring after 10 minutes. Meanwhile, coarsely chop basil with Chef's Knife. Reserve 2 tbsp for garnish. Grate cheese using Rotary Grater.
Carefully remove Baker from microwave using Oven Mitts and remove lid, lifting away from you. Add remaining basil, cheese and chicken to baker; mix well. Garnish with reserved 2 tbsp basil, additional Parmesan cheese and black pepper, if desired.
- 8 servings of about 1
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 240, Total Fat 2.5 g, Saturated Fat .5 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Carbohydrate 35 g, Protein 17 g, Sodium 450 mg, Fiber 2 g
An additional 3/4 cup chicken broth can be substituted for the wine, if desired.
Any tube-shaped pasta requiring 9-11 minutes cook time, such as penne or rigatoni, can be substituted for the mezze penne pasta.
To grill chicken in the Grill Pan, season 2 chicken breasts, about 6 oz each, with salt and black pepper. Heat Grill Pan over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Spray pan with oil. Cook chicken 4-6 minutes or until grill marks appear. Turn chicken over; cook 4-6 minutes or until center of chicken is no longer pink and Digital Pocket Thermometer registers 170°F.