Chicken Sausage & Herb Wheat Pizza
With a quickly made crust, this pizza is faster and healthier than ordering out.
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) active dry yeast
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water (110-120ºF/43-49ºC)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey
- 6 oz (175 g) cooked Italian chicken sausage links (2 links)
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) yellow cornmeal
- 1 3/4 oz (50 g) Provolone cheese
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) loosely packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Combine flours, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the rosemary, yeast and salt in Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl. Using Stainless Mini Whisk, whisk together water, 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil and honey in (2-cup/500-mL) Easy Read Measuring Cup. Add water mixture to flour mixture; mix just until dough begins to come together using Small Mix 'N Scraper®. Turn dough out onto lightly-floured Pastry Mat. Knead dough 4-5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, but not sticky. Shape dough into a ball and return to mixing bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in warm place about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, dice sausage and tomatoes, set aside. Combine remaining 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) rosemary, remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) oil and pressed garlic in (1-cup/250-mL) Prep Bowl. Sprinkle cornmeal over Large Round Stone with Handles. Place dough onto center of baking stone. Using Baker's Roller®, roll dough to within 1/2 in. (1 cm) of edge. Brush oil mixture over dough with Chef's Silicone Basting Brush. Bake 8-10 minutes or until crust is light golden brown.
Remove baking stone from oven to Stackable Cooling Rack. Top crust with sausage and tomatoes. Using Rotary Grater, grate cheese over pizza. Bake 4-6 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown and cheese is melted. Remove from oven; sprinkle with black pepper and basil.
- 4 servings of 1/4 pizza
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 320, Calories from Fat 90, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 40 mg, Sodium 480 mg, Total Carbohydrate 40 g, Dietary Fiber 4 g, Sugars 2 g, Protein 17 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat (2 1/2 carb)
To ensure a thin, crisp crust, do not let dough rise longer than 20 minutes.