Hawaiian Chicken Burgers
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) pineapple slices, reserving 1/4 cup (50 mL) juice
- 1 lb (16 oz/450 g) ground chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Teriyaki sauce
- 8 hamburger buns
Using small colander, drain pineapple slices over small bowl. Reserve juice; set pinapple slices aside. Combine ground chicken, bread crumbs, bell pepper, onion, ginger root, salt and 1/4 cup (50 mL) reserved pineapple juice; mix well. Form meat mixture into eight patties.
Preheat barbecue. Grill patties over medium coals 10-12 minutes or until internal temperature of burgers reaches 165°F (74°C). Use BBQ Turner to turn burgers once during cooking. Baste with Teriyaki sauce during last few minutes of grilling.
Grill pineapple slices 5 minutes; baste with Teriyaki sauce. Serve burgers on buns; top each with grilled pineapple ring.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 240, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 40 mg, Carbohydrate 32 g, Protein 14 g, Sodium 820 mg, Fiber 2 g