Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
Butter Chicken is a curry of chicken that was developed in the 1950’s by the founder of a restaurant in Delhi, India. It’s known for its spiced tomato, butter and cream sauce. Best served with basmati rice and or naan!
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 can (6 oz/156g) tomato paste
- ¾ cup (175 mL) water
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) butter
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1" (2.5-cm) piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 tbsp/15 mL) (see cook’s tip
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground coriander
- 2 tsp (10 mL) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper
- ½ cup (125 mL) heavy whipping cream
- Hot cooked basmati rice
- Optional: Chopped cilantro, naan (see cook’s tip)
Combine the chicken with the remaining ingredients, except the heavy whipping cream, in the Inner Pot of the DELUXE MULTI COOKER.
Lock the lid and select the Slow Cook setting on High for 4 hours or Low for 6 hours; press and hold START.
- When the timer is up, press CANCEL. Unlock the lid and stir in the cream. Serve with basmati rice. Top with chopped cilantro and serve with naan, if you'd like.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 430, Total Fat 24 g, Saturated Fat 13 g, Cholesterol 165 mg, Sodium 740 mg, Carbohydrate 17 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugars 9 g (includes 1 g added sugar), Protein 38 g
This recipe has tons of flavor without marinating the chicken, but marinating the chicken for 20 minutes or overnight can add more flavor.
This recipe will stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for 3–4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months!
The way you prepare your ginger can change the flavor and texture of your dish. Grating ginger releases more juice and gives the ginger a more intense flavor than other preparations, while finely chopping gives the ginger a crunch and less intense flavor.
This recipe is gluten-free if you serve it without the bread!