Smoky Yukon Gold Potato Chowder
Smooth and buttery, this potato-and-bean chowder will warm you up.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) smoked paprika
- 2 lbs (1 kg) Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups (1 L) unsalted chicken stock
- 1 can (14.5 oz or 398 mL)) no-salt-added Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) milk
- 3 oz (90 g) extra sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) reduced-fat sour cream
- Snipped fresh chives and additional smoked paprika (optional)
Melt butter in All-Purpose Pot over medium heat. Add leeks, onion, pressed garlic and paprika to pot; cook, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally.
Add potatoes; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add stock; cook, covered, 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender, stirring occasionally. Add beans; cook 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Remove pot from heat; cool 5 minutes.
Carefully ladle one-third of the potato mixture into a blender container. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour blended potato mixture into a large bowl. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
Return blended potato mixture to pot; stir in milk. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until simmering.
Stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish each serving with sour cream, chives and additional paprika, if desired.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 320, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 35 mg, Sodium 460 mg, Carbohydrate 45 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 15 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
3 starch, 1 medium-fat meat (3 carb)