California Chicken Club Ring
The avocado dip is the perfect condiment for this chicken, bacon, and kale ring that presents beautifully, but is a breeze to make.
- Oil for brushing
- 3 oz. (90 g) fresh kale (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 2 green onions, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 pkg (2.5 oz. or 65 mL) precooked bacon
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup (250 mL) grape tomatoes
- 4 oz. (125 g) pepper jack cheese (1 cup/250 mL grated)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 lb. (450 g) rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 cans (8 oz./226 g each) reduced-fat crescent rolls
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp (2 mL) water
- Avocado Dip
- ½ cup (125 mL) 2% plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 large avocado, pitted and cut into chunks
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice
- 1 green onion, cut into chunks
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) each salt and black pepper
Add the garlic pressed with the Garlic Press to the bowl and mix to combine. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH, for 2 minutes, or until the kale is slightly wilted.
Place the tomatoes into the Close & Cut and use the Coated Chef’s Knife to cut them in half. Grate the cheese with the Microplane® Adjustable Coarse Grater. Add the cheese, tomatoes, mayonnaise, mustard, and chicken to the batter bowl and stir to combine.
Unroll the crescent dough and separate it into 16 triangles. Arrange the wide ends about 1" (2.5 cm) away from the inner ring of the platter. The points should extend over the edge of the platter (see cook’s tip). Flatten the wide ends of the dough with the Baker’s Roller®.
Use the Large Scoop to distribute the filling evenly over the dough. Bring the points of the triangles up and over the filling, then tuck the points under the dough toward the center to form a ring.
Whisk the egg yolk and water in a small bowl. Brush the ring with the egg wash. Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (⅛ of the ring with 2 tbsp/30 mL of dip): Calories 470, Total Fat 24 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 95 mg, Sodium 960 mg, Carbohydrate 30 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugars 8 g, Protein 30 g
Arrange the dough pieces around the center ring with the points hanging over the edge of the platter.