Chocolate-Cherry Skillet Cake
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 can (21 oz/520 mL) cherry pie filling
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) water
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) almond extract
- 1 pkg (18.25 oz/510 g) devil's food cake mix
- 1 jar (11.75 oz/250 mL) chocolate ice cream topping
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted sliced almonds
- Vanilla frozen yogurt or thawed, frozen fat-free whipped topping (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly spray (12-in./30-cm) Skillet with oil. Whisk egg whites in large bowl; add pie filling, water and almond extract. Add cake mix; mix until well blended. Pour batter into Skillet, spreading evenly.
Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Carefully remove from oven using Oven Mitts; cool 10 minutes. Loosen edges of cake and carefully invert cake onto large, heat-safe serving plate.
Stir ice cream topping until smooth; carefully spread evenly over top of cake. Sprinkle almonds evenly around top edge of cake. Cut into wedges. Serve warm with frozen yogurt or whipped topping, if desired.
- 16 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 260, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 49 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 330 mg, Fiber 2 g
To toast almonds, spread almonds in a single layer over bottom of Small Bar Pan. Bake at 350°F (180°C) 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; cool completely.