Buttery Pastry Crust
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) cold butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter-flavor solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cider vinegar
- 2-4 tbsp (30-60 mL) ice cold water, divided
Combine flour and salt in large bowl; mix well. Cut butter and shortening into flour mixture using Pastry Blender until butter and shortening resemble the size of small peas. Add vinegar and sprinkle 1 tbsp (15 mL) water over flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Repeat with remaining water until dough is moist enough to form into a ball.
Gather dough into a ball; flatten to 1/2-inch (1-cm) thickness. Cover; refrigerate dough 30 minutes. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface and use as desired.
- 1 single pie or tart crust
servings of 1/8
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 180, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Carbohydrate 15 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 115 mg, Fiber less than 1 g