Toasted Almond Cake
This almond scented cake is filled with caramel and almonds, then coated in a subtly sweet caramel buttercream.
- Oil or butter to grease the pans
- 1 pkg. (16.25 oz./461 g) white cake mix
- 1 cup (250 mL) almond milk
- 3 egg whites
- ½ tsp (2mL) almond extract
- Caramel & Almond Filling
- ½ cup (125 mL) evaporated milk
- 1¾ cups (310 mL) dark brown sugar
- 1 stick (4 oz./125 g) cold butter, cubed
- ½ tsp (2 mL) almond extract
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¾ cup (175 mL) toasted sliced almonds, plus more for decorating
- 2 sticks (8 oz./250g) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup (175 mL) reserved caramel filling
Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease two 9" (23-cm) cake pans.
- Add the cake ingredients to a large mixing bowl. With the Hand Mixer, beat on low gradually increasing to medium until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Divide the batter between the two pans, smoothing the top. Bake until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25–30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing the cakes from the pans to a wire rack; cool completely.
For the filling, bring the evaporated milk to a boil and pour into a small bowl. Add the brown sugar and blend with the Immersion Blender on low, gradually increasing to high, until smooth. Add the butter, almond extract, and salt; blend until smooth and thickened.
Measure out ½ cup (125 mL) of the caramel filling and mix in the almonds. Cool the reserved caramel filling to room temperature.
When the cakes have cooled, slice a thin layer off the tops to make a flat surface. Place one cake, cut-side up on a large plate or cake stand; spread the caramel & almond filling over the top. Place the second layer, cut-side down on top of the filling.
For the frosting, cream the butter with the Hand Mixer. Add the reserved caramel filling and beat until light and fluffy.
Starting at the top of the cake, spread the frosting over the top and sides. Decorate with additional almonds, if you’d like.
- 12-16 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 500, Total Fat 23 g, Saturated Fat 13 g, Cholesterol 50 mg, Sodium 540 mg, Carbohydrate 70 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 44 g (includes 15 g added sugar), Protein 5 g
Go ahead and make a double batch of the filling! It’s great for dipping treats or to drizzle on top of cakes, brownies, and cookies.