Snappin' Cranberry-Pear Crisp
Delightful for fall and winter holiday entertaining, this satisfying dessert has a spicy gingersnap topping. Serve with ice cream, if desired.
- Fruit Mixture
- 1 can (16 ounces/450 g) whole berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons (10 mL) all-purpose flour
- 5 medium pears (about 2 pounds/1 kg), peeled and sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely crushed gingersnap cookies (about 15 cookies)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter or margarine, melted
Preheat oven to 375°F. For fruit mixture, combine cranberry sauce and flour in Classic Batter Bowl; mix well. Add pear slices; toss to evenly coat. Place fruit mixture in Deep Dish Baker; set aside. For topping, combine cookie crumbs, flour, brown sugar and butter in Small Batter Bowl; mix well. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over fruit mixture. Bake 30-35 minutes or until pears are tender and topping is golden brown.
- 10 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Approximately 200 calories and 5 grams of fat per serving
Pears to be used for cooking should be ripe, yet firm to the touch.
Apples may be substituted for the pears, if desired.
Gingersnaps can be coarsely chopped using the Food Chopper, or place cookies in a resealable plastic bag and coarsely crush with the Baker’s Roller®.
Peel the skin from the pears with the Vegetable Peeler or Quikut Paring Knife or they will darken and become tough during cooking.