Chocolate Macaroon Pizza
- 1 pkg (18-19 oz or 450 g) fudge brownie mix (plus ingredients to make brownies)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pkg (14 oz/400 g) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 can (14 oz or 300 mL) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
- 1 pkg (2.25 oz) sliced almonds (about ⅔ cup/150 mL)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) semi-sweet chocolate morsels, melted
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In a large mixing bowl, prepare brownie mix according to package directions. Pour batter onto Large Round Stone, spreading evenly to edges (see Cook’s Tip).
Bake 14-16 minutes or until brownie is set. (Do not overbake.) Remove stone from oven to cooling rack.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, coconut and sweetened condensed milk; mix well. Spread coconut mixture over top of brownie to within ¼-in. (6-mm) of edge. Sprinkle with almonds.
Bake 15-17 minutes or until edges of coconut are deep golden brown. Remove stone from oven to cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, microwave chocolate morsels and oil, uncovered, on HIGH 45-60 seconds or until chocolate is melted, stirring after 30 seconds. Drizzle chocolate over pizza.
Cut pizza into 16 wedges. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
- 16 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 450, Total Fat 22 g, Saturated Fat 10 g, Cholesterol 35 mg, Carbohydrate 57 g, Protein 5 g, Sodium 230 mg, Fiber 2 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 starch, 2 fruit, 4 fat (4 carb)
Be sure to choose sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated milk, for this recipe. Sweetened condensed milk is a mixture of whole milk and sugar, which is heated to produce a very sticky, sweet mixture. It is typically used in baked goods, candies and pie fillings.
The brownie base can be baked earlier in the day and cooled. To finish the pizza, prepare recipe as directed in Steps 3-6.
If desired, 1 square (1oz./30g) semi-sweet chocolate for baking can be substituted for the semi-sweet chocolate morsels.