Chocolate Caramel Popcorn
Sweet and crunchy caramel corn with candied peanuts, chocolate and marshmallows is the perfect treat during the holidays or year round.
- ¼ cup (60 mL) popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil
- Candied Peanuts
- 1 cup (250 mL) peanuts
- ¼ cup (60 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- ½ cup (125 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) corn syrup
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- 1 cup (250 mL) mini chocolate chips, melted
- 2 cups (500 mL) mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 250°F (120°C) and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Add the popcorn kernels and oil to the Electric Pop N Stir. Select POPCORN and run until kernels have popped and there are 3 seconds between pops. Measure out 8 cups (2 L), being careful not to add unpopped kernels. Place on a cookie sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- Add the candied peanuts ingredients to the Pop N Stir. Select NUTS and run until the nuts are coated and just start to look sandy, about 6 minutes. TIP: Do not go too long or the sugar will start to get rubbed off. Remove and set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add the brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 4 minutes, without stirring. Remove from the heat.
- Add the vanilla and baking soda and stir to combine.
- Add the popcorn and nuts to an extra large bowl. Pour over the caramel sauce and stir to evenly coat.
- Spread evenly over a cookie sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- When finished baking, stir in the marshmallows and drizzle with the melted chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chocolate has set. Break into pieces and serve.
- 12 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 360, Total Fat 19g, Saturated Fat 8g, Cholesterol 20g, Sodium 190mg, Carbohydrate 51g, Fiber 2g, Sugars 41g (includes 40g added sugar), Protein 4g
This recipe is the perfect base for caramel corn. Just eliminate the nuts, marshmallows and chocolate and follow the directions for an amazing sweet and crunchy treat.
Pack up a fun gift. Wrap these in clear plastic bags and give them away as gifts so everyone can enjoy your creations!