Baby Kale & Spinach Bites
- 28 saltine crackers
- 1 pkg (5 oz) mixed baby kale, chard and spinach greens (about 5 cups/1.25 L), washed and dried
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper
- 1 can (8 oz or 199 mL) sliced water chestnuts, drained and patted dry
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Garlic Rub
- 2 1/2 oz (70 g) fresh Parmesan cheese (1 1/2 cups/375 mL grated)
- 3 eggs
- Canola oil for brushing stone
Place half of the greens in Manual Food Processor; process until finely chopped (see cook’s tip). Transfer greens to batter bowl; repeat with remaining greens.
Cut bell pepper into small chunks. Finely chop bell pepper and water chestnuts with Food Chopper. Add bell pepper, water chestnuts and rub to batter bowl.
Grate Parmesan with Microplane® Adjustable Fine Grater. Set aside ¼ cup (50 mL) for topping. Add remaining to batter bowl.
In 3-cup (750-mL) Prep Bowl, separate egg whites with Egg Separator; reserve yolks for another use. Whisk egg whites with Spring Coil Whisk; add to batter bowl. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly moistened.
Lightly brush White Large Round Stone with oil using Chef’s Silicone Basting Brush. Using Small Scoop, place one level scoop of kale mixture onto stone (approximately 36 total); sprinkle with reserved Parmesan.
Bake 17–19 minutes or until light golden brown and firm. Remove stone from oven; immediately loosen bites with Mini Serving Spatula. Serve warm.
- 18 servings of 2 appetizers
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 45, Total Fat 1.5 g, Saturated Fat 0.5 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 160 mg, Carbohydrate 5 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 3 g
You may substitute baby spinach for the mixed greens.