Sweet Corn & Crab Poppers
Adding corn to these mini crab cakes gives them a moist texture and sweet flavor.
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) unseasoned dry bread crumbs, divided
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 small red bell pepper
- 1 pkg (.75 oz) fresh chives (about 1/4 cup/50 mL finely chopped), divided
- 1 can (6 oz/175 g) lump crabmeat, drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mayonnaise, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 lemon
- 1/8 tsp (.5 mL) cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Spray cups of Deluxe Mini-Muffin Pan with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle cups with 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the bread crumbs, gently tapping and rotating to coat.
Finely chop corn and bell pepper using Food Chopper. Blot bell pepper dry with paper towels. Finely chop chives; set aside 1 tbsp (15 mL) for garnish. Combine corn, bell pepper, remaining 3 tbsp (45 mL) chives, crabmeat, 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the mayonnaise, egg, remaining 1/3 cup (75 mL) bread crumbs, black pepper and salt in Classic Batter Bowl. Mix well using Small Mix ‘N Scraper®.
Divide crab mixture evenly among cups of pan. Bake 8–10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove pan from oven to Stackable Cooling Rack. Cool poppers in pan 2 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack.
Meanwhile, for sauce, juice lemon to measure 1 tsp (5 mL). Combine juice, cayenne pepper and remaining 1/4 cup (50 mL) mayonnaise in (1-cup/250-mL) Prep Bowl; mix well. Top poppers with sauce and reserved chives.
- 12 servings of 2 appetizers
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 120, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 35 mg, Sodium 270 mg, Carbohydrate 7 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 4 g
Use Stainless Whisk as a lemon reamer by choking up on the head of the whisk and juicing the lemon over prep bowl.