Fresh Veggie and Herb Flatbread
- Herb Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- Canola oil for greasing pan
- 1 pkg (11 oz) refrigerated thin pizza crust or 13.8-oz (283-g) pkg refrigerated pizza crust
- 1/2 small red bell pepper
- 1/2 small yellow squash (about 2 oz/60 g)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Italian cheese blend (6 oz/175 g)
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). For herb sauce, press garlic into Manual Food Processor with Garlic Press. Add remaining ingredients; process until herbs are coarsely chopped and mixture is well blended. Set aside.
Using Pizza Cutter, cut crust lengthwise into thirds. Carefully separate strips with fingertips. Bake 8-10 minutes (14-16 if using 13.8-oz/283-g pkg) or until crust is deep golden brown.
Meanwhile, cut bell pepper into two pieces. Remove ends from squash and cut in half lengthwise then crosswise into 21/2-in. (6-cm) sticks. Place bell pepper and squash into Spiral & Slice.
Return flatbread to oven; bake 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Remove Cookie Sheet from oven. Carefully remove blade from processor bowl; spoon herb sauce evenly over flatbread. Using Pizza Cutter, cut each flatbread crosswise into 10 slices. Serve with Mini-Serving Spatula.
- 15 servings of 2 appetizers
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (2 appetizers): Calories 120, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Sodium 200 mg, Carbohydrate 11 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 5 g
The Spiral & Slice lets you cut the bell pepper and squash at the same time and get perfectly sized slices. Plus, you can slice right over the crust! (See Step 5)
Did you know the herb sauce is called chimichurri? It is a green sauce, originally from Argentina, and is often used on grilled meat, but also works with vegetables, or even as a marinade.